HisservantAl

My mission is to honor and serve my Sovereign Father God as I move into the calling Holy Spirit has revealed to me. I've been blessed with musical talent to worship our Lord. And I've been given a forerunner annointing and authority to pray for nations. In this season, I am ministering to the nations of Ukraine and Russia as God leads. I am happy to share with you these wonderful victories for His Kingdom as they unfold.

Name:
Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States

Monday, December 17, 2007

Odessa, Ukraine July 2007

This was to be my fourth visit to Ukraine. I didn’t know if it was possible to top my last two trips to former Soviet states. But then again it’s not about how I think it went. I just want these orphans and other lost and oppressed people to get help and to get God in their lives. The year before, I was a one-man prayer tour in Moscow, Russia. Although there were several other people that I met and spent time with, I did 98% of my praying on my own and scheduled my entire itinerary myself. And it felt so right having known that God led me there. Then once there, getting seven keys in which to pray with authority for Russia and its people was so over-the-top encouraging and confirming for me. It was such an awesome time with God. Then in December I was again totally free to do what I wanted and go where I wanted. I had planned that trip with the Lord’s guidance and following His lead proved to be tremendously fruitful. My only regret is that those one hundred children who accepted Jesus into their hearts as Savior and Lord did not have a biblical church in which they could grow their faith. Yet I still rejoice in that seed that was planted in them – in their salvation that no one can ever take away.

Finally now, I have an opportunity to minister to orphans in Odessa, but this time would be with a group. I wasn’t sure if this would be my style. I had prayed for the nations of Ukraine and Russia and had ministered to orphans pretty much on my own, just me and God, and a few friends God sent me along the way. But now follow a group? But it was Odessa and I really thought that Odessa was the place God wanted me to go when I got the burden from the Holy Spirit for Ukrainian orphans in the fall of ‘06. Since I was unable to find any group or orphanage that would allow me to minister in that city in December, I went elsewhere. Now my application was accepted and we were to make a summer visit to Ukraine. This church had been to Odessa many times, and planted a church there. In fact this group, I could consider part of my larger church because I attend the Vineyard Community Church in Kingston, MA, USA and they are also a Vineyard outreach sending a team from three Vineyard churches in the mid-Atlantic states to minister to orphans. So despite my initial hesitations, I decided to go. Besides I wanted to see how others did orphans ministry. I knew I would learn more about it and meet some of the people behind all the other wonderful help organizations there. In the middle of July, 2007 we all met in Washington, D.C. and flew into Odessa on 12-July-07.

Once we got settled in our Odessa hotel and accustomed to our environment and schedule, things began to fall into place. We soon met our translators (several having grown up in orphanages themselves) and we were off to meet some orphans.



There are children from two city orphanages that leave for the summer and come to Camp Victoria. One very good thing about the Vineyard Ukraine Partnership is that teams visit the same kids year after year and really get a chance to develop relationships. Our team had prepared much for a week-long Vacation Bible School which we set up not far from this camp, at Orphanage #9. There were about 70 orphans who we got to minister to, ages about 4 to 10. We went there 6 days in a row and it was just delightful seeing these kids; and they had a blast being with us. Our whole team of 16 was there with our 7 or 8 translators, along with a few local leaders of orphans help organizations; and my pastor friend Viktor and his new bride, Alla. They came from Zhitomir to meet me and the missions trip leaders. I was in charge of one of the two Bible teaching stations. My station consisted of a picnic table and a tree. But we had great craft supplies and other teaching tools and the Word of God, and that’s all we needed to bless these little ones and tell them how much God loves them. Jason was the other Bible lesson teacher. Between him and me, about 35 children gave their lives to Jesus. Praise God! At this orphanage and at Camp Victoria our goal was to help these kids grow in a deeper relationship with God. I shared my personal testimony of how I came to know Jesus with eight teenage girls at Camp Vitoria one evening. Happy to plant a seed of hope in their young lives, this was the highlight of my visits to the older orphans at Camp Victoria.

One afternoon we took a longer bus ride to North Odessa to visit orphanage #3. These were real little kids, from babies to about 4 y/o. Although too young to teach and share the Gospel with, we did share the Father’s love with these kids during our brief visit there. The ones who could ride on something or swing in a swing we pushed, or played catch with a ball. And with the toddlers, we just picked them up and hugged them. I was very moved this day because of my experience with one child. As I was picking up some younger ones, there was a boy named Dima who was watching but was very timid and very sad. My heart went out to him and I finally got him to trust me enough that I could pick him up. I was humming to him and holding him and praying for him as I walked with him. Once he was comfortable he did not want to get down. When it was time for the team to leave, I had to say, “Baka,” bye-bye in Ukrainian, and put him down. He cried so; I felt I was abandoning him. I just hope and pray that for those moments that he felt the Father’s love, which maybe he never had felt before in his young life. I pray that God’s Spirit will stay with him and comfort him.

Unfortunately, many of these children have little hope of experiencing love from a family. It’s very sad that the adoption rate for these orphans is so low, something like less than 10%. One of our team leaders had actually adopted from this orphanage in recent years, and a couple on our team was thinking about adopting also.

Actually this orphanage, #3, is where it all started for the mid-Atlantic Vineyards getting involved with orphans in Ukraine. There was a photographer who came here in 1995 to film a documentary. Her name was Clara Pascal. She was so appalled by the unsanitary and inhumane conditions at the orphanage that she put down her camera and made a lifelong commitment to do something about it. She now runs Universal Aid for Children. You can read more about her and this wonderful help agency at http://www.uacukrainerelief.org/about_clara.html.

I was also privileged to meet other “heroes” in orphans ministry like Vinny Rosini from Frontier Horizons and a Presbyterian Minister from Florida named Robert, who sold his belongings and moved to Ukraine to help the street kids in Odessa. There is a great need for the orphans of Ukraine. I am trying to do what I can as one person. So I was thrilled to know that there are so many people and help organizations doing a terrific job at making a better world for these orphans and giving them the hope of God and salvation through Jesus Christ.

Indeed it was another great trip. I wish to thank Vineyard Ukraine Partnership leader, John Odean and our other team leaders, Ed and Christy for this awesome opportunity to walk out the Great Commission of Jesus. I can’t wait to return to Ukraine again to help these dear children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home